Eagles Next Opponent – Arizona Cardinals – Use Adaptive Insights for Budgeting
The Arizona Cardinals of the National Football League have successfully employed Adaptive Insights to develop their annual budgets for the past two years. As a fan of Philadelphia sports teams, I am hoping that the Cardinals will have less success in their matchup with the Eagles this coming Sunday. But, as a solutions partner for Adaptive Insights, I am excited about the success of the Cardinals organization… off the field.
As reported in a recent article by Dennis Howlett of diginomica.com, the Cardinals have achieved the following benefits by converting from spreadsheet budgeting to Adaptive Planning:
- The time to complete the budget process was cut in half. Before Adaptive Planning, the process required three to four weeks; after Adaptive Planning, only one to two weeks.*
- The time required to consolidate each budget iteration for 30 different responsibility centers was reduced from days to hours.
- Operating managers spend less time on procedural reports and, as a result, have more time for value-added review and analysis of budget submissions.
- Operating managers also rely less on financial staff to develop their budgets, giving them a greater sense of autonomy and control.
As an added benefit of converting to Adaptive Planning, the Cardinals organization has successfully transitioned to driver-based budgeting, providing more internal consistency to the overall budget.
With estimated annual revenue of $266 million and estimated operating income of $42 million, the Arizona Cardinals are at the upper end of what would be considered a middle market company. They are organized into 30 distinct budget or responsibility centers that roll up to the total company budget. Even with this scope and complexity, the Cardinal organization was able to implement Adaptive Planning in three and a half months, and this included time for both extensive system testing and intensive hands-on user training.
Click here for more information about the Arizona Cardinals’ experience with Adaptive Insights.
For more information about how your organization can achieve similar results with Adaptive Insights, give us a call or email me directly.
* This refers to what the Cardinals call the budget culmination process, which I interpret to mean that part of the process required for submission, consolidation, review, revision and approval. I assume there is additional time required to actually prepare the budget model and develop drivers, assumptions and inputs. The time to complete these preliminary steps in the process is typically reduced even more significantly by implementing Adaptive Planning.
© Copyright Custom Systems Corporation 2014